Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Love and Marriage

Guess who is officially an engaged woman?! This girl right here! While I knew that it was going to happen sometime soon, I was not expecting it at all tonight. Tonight was just a typical night. I made dinner and were watching some shows. I asked the girls to go clean up their room and Brittany said that she would go make sure they did. After a few minutes she came back and the girls walked out wearing these shirts that said "Mommy will you marry our Meme?" It was very cute and sweet and I was completely shocked. I appreciate that she didn't ask me in front of tons of people as that would have made me super uncomfortable. I'm not one that enjoys being the center of attention much. I kissed the girls and then kissed her and it was just super sweet.

It feels so surreal. Honestly since the beginning of our relationship we've been dream talking about marriage and what our wedding would look like. I've been super careful to not put the carriage before the horse though. I didn't want to take the novelty of the engagement period away from the time it actually happened. So all of the browsing and "planning" I have done thus far has been with the thought that "its not real" yet in the back of my mind. Well, now it is and it's just weird! Ha! I'm actually a bride-to-be now. I don't know what to do with myself!!

Now we have to really get serious and figure out what we actually plan on doing. The state that we live in does not recognize gay marriage at all. So part of me thinks that it's silly at this point to put all the time/effort/money into planning a wedding that isn't even legal. I understand that legality isn't the whole point of marriage, but it's an important part for me. So the next few weeks/months we will have to decide if we just want to wait until it is legal one day, if we want a commitment ceremony, what we want to do exactly. None the less I'm excited that we are on the "next level!"

No comments:

Post a Comment