Friday, February 10, 2012

Truth be told

When I imagined how my life would look when I was celebrating my engagement, this is not the picture that was painted. Granted, my life is pretty awesome right now, but somehow little grey rain clouds keep trying to rain on our parade.

Brittany and I have been together for nearly 3 years. June 27th, 2009 we officially became a couple. I like to consider that serious commitment. We share our lives together, share bank accounts, we have financially supported one another over the past 3 years, we have plans of having children and getting married. While I don't think that nearly 3 years is a long time by some standards, it is long enough, in my mind, to feel like I have an accurate depiction of who the person I am with is.

The day after mine and Brittany's engagement the phone started ringing at 8:00 AM. We were sleeping and ignored it a couple times. Brittany finally answered it on the 7th time thinking that it must be an emergency if her mother called 7 times in a row. In fact it was not an emergency, but a terrible way to start the day.

Brittany's mom told her that she saw the picture of my ring on FB the night before and that was why she ignored Brittany's two calls that night. She said that it really "hit home" seeing Brittany and I were engaged. That she had been going to church more and getting closer to God and in her heart she felt it was wrong. Not only that but she felt as if Britt and I were rushing into things and that we should wait and accomplish more of our goals before we are married. The conversation ended with Brittany hanging up and sobbing; my guess is out of both sadness and anger.

Hearing the news that her mother didn't accept us felt like we just got hit by a bus. For the past 2 1/2 years her mother has welcomed myself and my children into her home with open arms. Has said several times that "although it is not a "lifestyle" (which that in itself is annoying; its not a lifestyle) she would choose, she loves Brittany regardless." She has told me that even if Brittany and I were to break up I would still be welcomed in her home. Hell, we even lived with her mother for a brief time. So clearly, we were under the impression that this woman loves, accepts, and supports our relationship.

As if this wasn't bad enough, later that same day Brittany was texting her older sister about our engagement and her reaction, while more predictable, still hurt. "I love you, but I can not support something that is wrong," she said. Brittany and her sister have struggled for the past couple of years and they were finally at a good place in their relationship. Her sister even sat and talked about my one day wedding plans with me less than 4 months ago.

What is most frustrating to me is that they are picking and choosing what Bible verses to live by and which ones not to. They are being extremely close minded and won't even listen to conversation that supports anything other than what they believe. This situation is beyond frustrating and it is a slap in the face. My family is NOT wrong. Love is never wrong.

All of this leaves us with few choices. Brittany's mother would like to continue having a relationship with Brittany, but her position remains that our relationship is wrong. This obviously is not an option for us. You can not half accept someone and love them fully. So, per Brittany's thearpists' advice, Brittany is going to give them two options. Either love, accept and support her as is or she will be stepping back and removing contact with them.

I do believe that there is a silver lining to every situation. The lining in this is that it has brought she and I closer together, our commitment to each other stronger, and the desire and passion to never let anyone between us. It has also started a fire under my butt on promoting awareness and clarity. I want to educate people on what the Bible actually  means in those simple 6 verses. Those 6 verses that keep thousands if not millions of Americans citizens from having equal civil rights. We may have lost this battle, but we have not lost the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment